The Custom Fields setting area can be found under Venue settings > Custom booking fields. The following field types can be created:
- Single-line text
- Multi-line text
- Single-select dropdown
- Multi-select dropdown
How do I create a custom field?
First, click to select the field type that you wish to use or test out. In this example we’ll look at the ‘Multi-select dropdown’ field option specifically.
Next create the Field Label, in this example it’s “Select the equipment you need for your booking!”.
For this type of custom field you'll also create Field Options. In this example the options are Notepad, Markers, and Flip-chart. These are the options that can be selected in the dropdown.
You’ll see a Field Preview area too - perfect for seeing the end result of your custom field!
By clicking on ‘Show more field options’ you can customize even further. The options are:
- Field Nickname (max 10 characters): The nickname is displayed instead of the full label whenever space is tight (e.g. printouts, popovers, emails). In this example, it’s “Equipment”.
- Field Placeholder: This is shown in the field when it's empty. This is perfect for giving your users a ‘hint’ or example. In this example it’s “Choose as many as you like.”
- Field Help Text: This is shown behind a small question mark beside the custom field. This is helpful if more context or guidance is necessary. You can add clickable links, helpful to refer your users to other resources. In this example it’s “All equipment is of the highest quality! See all the details here (linked)".
- For multi-select dropdowns and number fields, you can optionally configure a minimum and maximum selection/number range. For other custom field types you can choose if they are a required field with a checkbox.
- For all custom field types you can also choose if the field’s values are for admin-eyes only, or if the owner / holder of the booking can also see the answers after the booking has been created.
Finally, save your custom field! From the Custom Fields settings page you can re-order, delete, and come back to edit fields at any stage. At this point you could test out your fields by attempting to make a booking on the scheduler. Remember, custom fields will always show for all users, unless you decide to customize their inclusion with ‘Inclusion Conditions’.
What are Inclusion Conditions?
Inclusion conditions let you specify exactly which fields should be automatically included on new bookings. For example, perhaps a specific checkbox is only needed when a particular space is booked. Such conditions can be created here! Note that admins will always be able to manually add and remove fields from any booking (irrespective of what you do here).
If you don't have any inclusion conditions setup then ALL fields will be included on all new bookings. You can override this default by adding a condition. Once you add a condition here, custom fields will ONLY be automatically included on new bookings if they match one or more conditions that you create.
Inclusion Conditions give you a tonne of flexibility. For example, you might like to have
- one text field that is admin-only,
- one number field that is only included on bookings for certain spaces (e.g. Attendance count) , and
- multiple questions that are only included on bookings if the user has no user tags, or a certain user tag.
What do Custom Fields look like?
Here is a look custom fields from the non-admin booking window:
Custom fields are respected in emails, exports, printouts, popovers, search fields, scheduler views and Zapier triggers, so the information collected will be consumable in all the ways you expect.
Reach out if you have any questions on reviewing your custom fields data, or for any questions on getting things set up!